These damp spring days still have me searching for comfort food! Where are you summeeeeer???? While I wait, I’ll be here chopping veggies and baking stuff. The base of this recipe are the red lentils which are a great source of vegetarian/vegan protein and fiber.
1 cup of red lentils
¼ cup chopped green onion
½ cup chopped cremini mushrooms
1 ½ cups chopped tomatoes
3 cups baby spinach
For the Sauce
1 cup soaked cashews
¼ cup nutritional yeast
½ cup + 2 tbsp of unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp garlic powder
Pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cook lentils according to directions. Typically 3 cups of water for 1 cup of lentils, bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer for approx. 15 mins, but you’ll know by looking at them where they’re done.
- In a blender, combine the cashews, yeast, almond milk, garlic powder, and salt. Process until smooth.
- Combine veggies in a 9 x 9 casserole dish.
- Drain the lentils and add to veggies
- Pour sauce over top and combine until all the veggies and lentils are coated with the sauce.
- Smooth out the top and cover with a light layer of bread crumbs.
- Bake covered at 375° for 20 mins.
- Remove cover and bake for an additional 10 mins.
- Let stand for 5 mins after removing from the oven.